Andy's Forgotten Realms
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Andy's Forgotten Realms

Board for my Pathfinder game in Kaohsiung!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The House of the Temptress -- April 22nd, 2012

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
The DM
Admin
The DM

The House of the Temptress -- April 22nd, 2012 Empty
PostSubject: The House of the Temptress -- April 22nd, 2012   The House of the Temptress -- April 22nd, 2012 EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 4:19 pm

For your heroic valor against tremendous odds you each receive 35,200 experience points!

loot

on the frozen corpse of Kolemvox you find a Ring of protection+3, Amulet of Natural Armor+2, and a Deep Red Sphere Ioun Stone (+2 dex)

his treasure pile includes
437 pp
9,684 gp
26,984 sp
56,138 sp
29 red and brown-green garnets (100gp each)
6 golden topazes (500 each)
2 black star sapphires worth 1000gp
a jeweled scepter set with fiery yellow and purple corundum worth 7500 gp
2 arcane scrolls of mirror image (CL3)
3 arcane scrolls of fire shield
4 potions of cure serious wounds
3 potions of cat's grace
a Staff of Healing (5 charges)
a +3 mithral shirt of Spell resistance (15)
3 divine scrolls of freedom of movement
a +3 bastard sword

Back to top Go down
https://satansgame2.666forum.com
The DM
Admin
The DM

PostSubject: Re: The House of the Temptress -- April 22nd, 2012   The House of the Temptress -- April 22nd, 2012 EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 5:35 pm

as you watch, the Abyssal portal begins to destabilize in the absence of the powerful outsider that was powering it. You arcane types estimate it will collapse in a few minutes and become inert.
Back to top Go down
Brutus

Brutus

PostSubject: Re: The House of the Temptress -- April 22nd, 2012   The House of the Temptress -- April 22nd, 2012 EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 5:55 pm

Brutus is walking around the room trying to deal with the betrayal of Nantazar by slaying the remaining cultists.
Back to top Go down
The DM
Admin
The DM

PostSubject: Re: The House of the Temptress -- April 22nd, 2012   The House of the Temptress -- April 22nd, 2012 EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 2:50 am

If anyone with a strong stomach and enough ranks in knowledge (the planes or religion) examines the trappings of the room they find that apart from the disused trappings of Bane some of the rituals performed here seem to have been directed to please Baphomet, Demon Lord of Beasts
Back to top Go down
D'yb D'anzig

D'yb D'anzig

PostSubject: Re: The House of the Temptress -- April 22nd, 2012   The House of the Temptress -- April 22nd, 2012 EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 4:32 am

[OOC: What is the significance of a temple of Bane being taken over by demons? Is Bane a dead god at this point? Sorry but, again, my FR knowledge as a player is lacking and need a bit more explanation to get into things. It's somteimes hard for me to follow the over-arcing story.

And Abyssal portal, that means portal to the Abyss, right?

Can we just get any/all knowledge rolls out of the way before role playing any whining, complaining, and in D'yb's case: I-told-you-sos.]
Back to top Go down
The DM
Admin
The DM

PostSubject: Re: The House of the Temptress -- April 22nd, 2012   The House of the Temptress -- April 22nd, 2012 EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 4:41 am

Also you each receive 1 hero point for your determined efforts. Note that you can't go over 3 hero points, so if you are currently at 3 it's lost.

[ooc] Bane is not a dead god at this point, he returned less than a month ago and his resurgent clergy is busy waging war across the south and staging a coup to retake control of the Zhentarim from the priesthood of Cyric. However that is very much still an ongoing event so while there have been rumors of ruinous battles and even sightings of Bane's Chosen, the dread priest Fzoul Chembryl near Zhentil Keep the facts of what's happening a few miles away near the city center are quite sketchy at this point.

In any case much of Zhentil Keep's population fled or was massacred in 1368 when Cyricists led the Second Banedeath, a (un)holy crusade to stamp out heresies and Banite loyalists who had persisted within the city since the god's death in 1358. This culminated in the sacking of the city by an army of orcs, giants, and dragons. Formerly the city had a population of over 50,000 which was reduced to less than 15,000 during these events.

So, even with the return of Bane, it will be some time before Zhentarim and other forces loyal to him can fully retake this city and even then it will be generations before many of its destroyed portions are rebuilt and occupied, if ever.
[/ooc]
Back to top Go down
The DM
Admin
The DM

PostSubject: Re: The House of the Temptress -- April 22nd, 2012   The House of the Temptress -- April 22nd, 2012 EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 9:44 am

Brutus takes out the party's bag of holding and begins shoveling coins into it using his two meaty paws

the portal is destabilizing and beginning to flash in and out of existence, you estimate you have less than 1 minute to go through it if you wished to

the rest of the cathedral seems quiet, for now. This main chamber seems devoid of anything else of interest besides the dragon horde, the portal, the dead cultists. However, several doors lead out of the room. There are six doors, two of which seem to lead back toward the antechamber and the other four unknowns.
Back to top Go down
Brutus

Brutus

PostSubject: Re: The House of the Temptress -- April 22nd, 2012   The House of the Temptress -- April 22nd, 2012 EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 11:32 am

Brutus finishes packing the dragons loot. Then he begins to look around the cathedral. Though most of the items and statues he sees are unknown to him.

"Hey guys can you help me look around you know what is valuable and important around here. I need you help"

"Anything I should smash so others can't use in the future?"
Back to top Go down
Logain

PostSubject: Re: The House of the Temptress -- April 22nd, 2012   The House of the Temptress -- April 22nd, 2012 EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 11:34 am

Logain begins looking around the room, examining the portal and applying all his knowledge in an effort to come up with something that could give them some more information about what had been going on here and what had just happened.
Back to top Go down
The DM
Admin
The DM

PostSubject: Re: The House of the Temptress -- April 22nd, 2012   The House of the Temptress -- April 22nd, 2012 EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 11:49 am

The portal has stopped flashing and making strange sounds by now. Some of the runes and adamantine chains have been melted by it's convolutions but you're fairly sure it led to Pazunia, the Plain of Infinite Portals, the first layer of The Abyss.

Some of the cultists were dead before you arrived, the rest have either fled or been made into meat by Brutus' unmerciful blade. Logain recognizes wooden Unholy symbols of Baphomet, Demon Lord of Beasts, on some of their bodies. Apart from that some of them carry cheaply made daggers and personal effects, many of which are stained by chunks of organs, matted hair, blood, brains, semen, feces, and other, perhaps demonic bodily fluids and parts which are a bit difficult to identify.
Back to top Go down
Brutus

Brutus

PostSubject: Re: The House of the Temptress -- April 22nd, 2012   The House of the Temptress -- April 22nd, 2012 EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 2:13 pm

Brutus also asks logain or D'ybb to join him in searching the other rooms if that had not already been done.
Back to top Go down
Logain

PostSubject: Re: The House of the Temptress -- April 22nd, 2012   The House of the Temptress -- April 22nd, 2012 EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 2:41 pm

Logain readily agrees to search the other rooms. Not much more information to be cleaned from this filth anyway.
Back to top Go down
Logain

PostSubject: Re: The House of the Temptress -- April 22nd, 2012   The House of the Temptress -- April 22nd, 2012 EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 2:41 pm

*gleaned
Back to top Go down
The DM
Admin
The DM

PostSubject: Re: The House of the Temptress -- April 22nd, 2012   The House of the Temptress -- April 22nd, 2012 EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 4:05 pm

The adamantine chains and portal frame have largely been melted and would require perhaps an hour of work to chisel off the stone of the Cathedral floor and wall but might be salvageable although destroying them by mundane means is probably impossible. The other contents of the chamber, while disturbing, would seem to be of little use to anyone seeking similar nefarious magics.

A search of the cathedral's other rooms unearths mostly ruined accoutrements of Bane's faith and collapsed or crumbling furnishings and architecture. However, on a makeshift desk set up across a partial altar slab set across two broken columns you find a copy of (yet another) ominous letter:

"To the Lady of great beauty and cruelty,

The city lays in ruins, and my troops run rampant through its streets, visiting miseries upon the remaining pathetic drow even you might delight in. Once you have marshaled your forces and drained what power remains in the hated Azata, you should join me here. I have need of your arcane skills and knowledge, for the thrice-damned cult of the White Banshee still yet vexes me within the Castle. They dare not come against my army in force in the city and we have laid in a siege, but their unliving forces cannot be starved or frightened out. Worse yet, I fear the T'sarran bitch has begun work upon some great necromantic magic which is beyond my understanding. In the name of dread Baphomet, come to me here and together we shall crack the bones of these unliving cowards and suck the black and rotten marrow from within."

-Kurgoth

Back to top Go down
D'yb D'anzig

D'yb D'anzig

PostSubject: Re: The House of the Temptress -- April 22nd, 2012   The House of the Temptress -- April 22nd, 2012 EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 5:10 pm

[OOC: My post begins as soon as the battle ends and the actions taken by D'yb and Moxie should be understood to have occured as Logain and Brutus did their own work and analysis]

With the relevatory actions of Nantazar, D'yb and Moxie hearts stop for a moment as time slows and everything seems too quiet in the most cliched of cliched shocking moments.

Moxie screams out "Come on, guys!" and begins flying towards the portal, but is stopped just in time by an invisible wall of force thrown in front by D'yb.

She slams against the wall and punches and kicks it. She curses in a way that is unbecoming of a lady and vis-a-vis very unbecoming of an azata.

Moxie: "Son of a spider! What are you doing, D'yb? This portal's gonna close and we're gonna lose them!"

D'yb: "We're not gonna save her if we're dead, Moxie. We'll get the bastard and save your friend. I'm gonna go Menzoberranzan on him but that's going to take some preparation."

When Moxie calms down and ceases her futile beating on the invisible wall, D'yb dismisses his spell and examines the portal. He informs the party to the best of his knowledge about the portal, Orcus, and the various other pertinent demon facts that come to mind [see DM posts]

D'yb then nods to Brutus and Logain as they begin filling the bag of holding and searching the other rooms. He tells them to go ahead as he has some detective work to do.

He searches the scorpion demons' greataxes for traces of Nantazar's blood and curses the self-buffing, armored cleric for not taking a good hit in the battle. He takes whatever blood samples he can from them anyway, carefully stowing them in the extra-dimensional pockets of his Handy Haversack. He knows he will have to take them out of this evil place to even get a chance of detecting evil off them with hopes for a good scrying focus.

"These will have to do, Moxie. Let's look for something of your friend's."

He returns to the portal where the azata was and notices some partially melted links in the adamantine chains that held her molten form. He beckons Brutus to come help him break the chains.

"Could you do me a favour and hit the chain with your adamantine sword right here, Brutus?"

He uses as a prestidigitation spell to color where he deduces to be the weakest spot of the link.

Back to top Go down
Brutus

Brutus

PostSubject: Re: The House of the Temptress -- April 22nd, 2012   The House of the Temptress -- April 22nd, 2012 EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 5:15 pm

"ahhh, breaking things, my favorite thing, tell me where to hit and it will be yours, or I can smash the ground into dust around it with my earthbreaker and we can keep all of it....surely the floor would break before the chains do."

Back to top Go down
D'yb D'anzig

D'yb D'anzig

PostSubject: Re: The House of the Temptress -- April 22nd, 2012   The House of the Temptress -- April 22nd, 2012 EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 5:24 pm

"if it doesn't work I'd like to dismantle the portal... but ,really, I require but a small sample. Try this green spot on the melted link. The integrity of the adamantine may have been compromised by the heat of the azata's molten flesh. The hardness discrepancy and disparaty between your sword and the link..."

[This is where you get bored and try.]

*** Stated Actions for later! ***

D'yb will teleport the party to waterdeep with the scroll once everything is finished.

Diplomacy roll to use in Waterdeep to haggle: Moxie Diplomacy +11 +2 Eagle's Splendor, and +2 Good hope = +15... and I roll... 19! (D'yb rolls 16 to aid another, +2) so that's a 36 diplomacy roll.

*** Beware the continuity monster! ***

Last edited by D'yb D'anzig on Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Brutus

Brutus

PostSubject: Re: The House of the Temptress -- April 22nd, 2012   The House of the Temptress -- April 22nd, 2012 EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 5:31 pm

Having lost concentration in what anything D'ybb said after "break this" Brutus looks at the target of his wrath.

Brutus pulls Tempest off his back, makes a few practice swings to make sure he hits the sweet spot, then winds up to hit the chain with all of his considerable stength, with an audible grunt he swings down, hoping to here the satisfying crunch that tells him that the chain has snapped.
Back to top Go down
The DM
Admin
The DM

PostSubject: Re: The House of the Temptress -- April 22nd, 2012   The House of the Temptress -- April 22nd, 2012 EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 3:59 am

Brutus manages to cut out a length of partially melted chain. After gathering up everything from the temple D'ybb uses a scroll to teleport the party back to Waterdeep.

You make your way to a Nearby inn and hoist a few pints and have some food while D'ybb and Moxie go out and try to sell the booty. Unfortunately it seems there is a surplus of adventurers trying to sell such things in Waterdeep at this time, even after crafty haggling, the best they are able to negotiate is a 50% sale rate.
Back to top Go down
D'yb D'anzig

D'yb D'anzig

PostSubject: Re: The House of the Temptress -- April 22nd, 2012   The House of the Temptress -- April 22nd, 2012 EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 4:41 pm

Upon finishing wheeling and dealing (and not getting much of either, damn this market!) D'yb sets to work studying the chain link pieces and blood samples.

Moxie detects evil on the blood with hopes of identifying some of it as Nantazar's as D'yb detects magic and tries to discern any helpful information from the adamantine. They focus their attention and, after preparing spells, D'yb attempts to scry on the Azata and Nantazar.

-=-=

Also, D'yb will recast his Dispel Magic contingency spell to attempt to counter spell when targetted with an attack spell of 6th level or higher.

Last edited by D'yb D'anzig on Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:28 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Brutus

Brutus

PostSubject: Re: The House of the Temptress -- April 22nd, 2012   The House of the Temptress -- April 22nd, 2012 EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 5:08 pm

In Waterdeep, Brutus wanders off on his own to visit the numerous bars and browse the shops that are of interest to him. He also listens in to patrons to try and hear of news that may interest him, or have any impact on his party.
Back to top Go down
The DM
Admin
The DM

PostSubject: Re: The House of the Temptress -- April 22nd, 2012   The House of the Temptress -- April 22nd, 2012 EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 2:27 am

Brutus hears rumors that thee is an ambassadorial party from the City of Shade in Waterdeep, here to meet with the Lords of the city and with other certain high level persons, Harpers and such.

Who is D'ybb attempting to scry first?
Back to top Go down
D'yb D'anzig

D'yb D'anzig

PostSubject: Re: The House of the Temptress -- April 22nd, 2012   The House of the Temptress -- April 22nd, 2012 EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 4:45 am

[OOC: Scott rolls a D2 and with the result of "heads" gets the Azata. What result did he get from the careful study of the blood and chain link? Will they be of any use for scrying? What else does D'yb's research reveal? Might be important for safety's sake to know these things. The "body part" is important because he is aware that there is a +5 to will save for being on another plane and he's scrying creatures with high will saves.]

Barring any serious warning signs, the order will be:

1 - Azata
2 - Nantazar

He will attempt a normal scrying first, and if it fails (and depending on if something bad happens) will try again with greater scrying.
Back to top Go down
The DM
Admin
The DM

PostSubject: Re: The House of the Temptress -- April 22nd, 2012   The House of the Temptress -- April 22nd, 2012 EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 5:32 am

The blood on the axes doesn't register any evil, however the portal shards have a strong magical resonance and you think they might help get a fix on the Azata

Upon attempting to scry her you find yourself looking down from a bird's eye view on a plain of scoured bone dust under a night-black sky swept by storms of the same shrieking across the plane with earsplitting velocity. You recognize it as a desert known as Oblivion's End on the 113th layer of the Abyss, Thanatos, realm of Orcus. As your vision pans across this great and terrible wasteland you see in the distance a great citadel formed from stacked and mortared bones of all sizes, miles in diameter. This can only be Orcus's dread home, known as Everlost.

You believe the reason you are viewing the citadel rather than getting a direct view of the Azata's location may be because this distance marks the boundary of the personal Divine Realm of Orcus. You feel a cold, forbidding pressure holding your scrying sensor back but could try to force your way past with your will, if you wish to.
Back to top Go down
D'yb D'anzig

D'yb D'anzig

PostSubject: Re: The House of the Temptress -- April 22nd, 2012   The House of the Temptress -- April 22nd, 2012 EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 6:57 pm

D'yb is satisfied that his cleverness got him this far and thinks it better not to push against the boundaries of a power greater than he... atleast for now!

He decides to further inform himself on these powerful enemies: Orcus and Kiaransalee, The Abyss, etc. He wonders if perhaps he'll find more answers in Maerimydra.

He spends some time to study the broken links of chain to better understand their binding magics, but not before safely and secretly bottling his blood samples. He labels them in written Netherese: Logain and Brutus. You never know... they could come in handy!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The House of the Temptress -- April 22nd, 2012   The House of the Temptress -- April 22nd, 2012 Empty

Back to top Go down

The House of the Temptress -- April 22nd, 2012
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next