Andy's Forgotten Realms
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Andy's Forgotten Realms

Board for my Pathfinder game in Kaohsiung!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Red Menace

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
The DM
Admin
The DM

The Red Menace Empty
PostSubject: The Red Menace   The Red Menace EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 10:40 am

Lairing in the northwest corner of Andoran, somewhere
northeast of Droskar’s Crag, is one of the largest, oldest,
and most powerful dragons in all of Golarion. Many call
Daralathyxl the Sixth King of the Five Kings Mountains,
and those who meet him are advised to address him at least
as “king,” although he seems to prefer “emperor” or “god.”
His inf luence extends for hundreds of miles, and at least
a dozen other powerful chromatic dragons live within his
vast territory.

Scholars both draconic and mortal estimate his age in
excess of 2 millennia, and although the frequency of his
appearances decreases with each passing century, only fools
openly speculate that he is weakening in his advancing
age. Indeed, too many whispers of his death, departure, or
infirmity seem to summon his wrath, and thus the longsuffering
people of Darkmoon Vale and other areas near
Droskar’s Crag speak of the king only in quietly reverent
terms, hoping their respect continues to hold him at bay.

When he does stir, Daralathyxl spreads terror across
northwestern Andoran, southern Isger, and southwestern
Druma. He demands supplication in the form of coin,
treasure, and maidens (elves are his preference). Those
communities that do not placate his rage quickly enough
find themselves engulfed in flame, their towns set to
ruins, and their cities weakened.
Back to top Go down
https://satansgame2.666forum.com
The DM
Admin
The DM

The Red Menace Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Red Menace   The Red Menace EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 11:22 am

Create a 20th level PC using the 25 point buy system with standard wealth by level. Please notify me before the 18th if you need to help or would like me to create a character for you.

You may use any sourcebooks published by Paizo to create your character. Broken builds such as are (in)famous on the Paizo forums like "Ragelancepounce" Barbarian, Monk/Alchemst Vivisectionist are banned, unless you would like the DM to also use broken tactics. Additionally, for originality's sake, you may not copy this build: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/npc-s/npc-20/elicia-stormraven. So, Paladin archers are also banned effectively unless you can somehow convince me that you have a original build.

Hope to have some fun!

Back to top Go down
Logain

The Red Menace Empty
PostSubject: Zen Archer Monk   The Red Menace EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 11:28 am

The Monk CR 19
Male Human (Shoanti) Monk (Zen Archer) 20
LN Medium Outsider (Augmented Humanoid, Human)
Init +11; Senses Perception +43
--------------------
DEFENSE
--------------------
AC 41, touch 36, flat-footed 41 (+5 Dex, +5 natural, +5 deflection, +1 dodge)
hp 201 (20d8+80)
Fort +21, Ref +22, Will +27
DR 10/chaotic; SR 30
--------------------
OFFENSE
--------------------
Spd 90 ft.
Melee Unarmed Strike +25/+20/+15 (2d10+5/20/x2)
Ranged Lawbringer (Str +5) +38/+33/+28 (1d8+13/19-20/x3)
Special Attacks Flurry of Blows +18/+18/+13/+13/+8/+8/+3, Ki Focus Bow, Ki Strike, Adamantine, Ki Strike, Lawful, Ki Strike, Magic, Quivering Palm (1/week) (DC 30), Trick Shot, Zen Archery
--------------------
STATISTICS
--------------------
Str 14/20, Dex 14/20, Con 13/19, Int 10/16, Wis 24/30, Cha 9/15
Base Atk +15; CMB +20; CMD 56
Feats Combat Patrol (+15'), Combat Reflexes (6 AoO/round), Deadly Aim -4/+8, Dodge, Extra Ki, Greater Snap Shot, Impact Critical Shot, Improved Critical: Longbow, Improved Initiative, Improved Precise Shot, Improved Snap Shot, Improved Unarmed Strike, Mobility, Monk Weapon Proficiencies, Perfect Strike (3d20) (20/day), Pinpoint Targeting, Point Blank Master: Longbow, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Rapid Shot, Snap Shot, Weapon Focus: Longbow, Weapon Specialization: Longbow
Traits Reactionary, Wisdom in the Flesh: Stealth
Skills Acrobatics +28, Climb +10, Escape Artist +23, Fly +12, Heal +12, Knowledge (History) +18, Knowledge (Religion) +18, Linguistics +6, Perception +43, Ride +12, Sense Motive +33, Stealth +33, Swim +11, Use Magic Device +22
Languages Abyssal, Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Infernal, Shoanti
SQ Abundant Step (Su), AC Bonus +15, Empty Body (Su), Fast Movement (+60'), High Jump (+20) (Ex), Ki Archery (Su), Ki Arrows (Su), Ki Defense (Su), Ki Pool (Su), Perfect Self, Reflexive Shot (Ex), Ring of Splendid Security, Slow Fall any distance (Ex), Timeless Body (Ex), Unarmed Strike (2d10), Weapon Cord, Wholeness of Body (20 HP/use) (Su)
Combat Gear Dragon Bane Arrows (50), Lawbringer (Str +5); Other Gear Amulet of Natural Armor +5, Belt of Physical Perfection, +6, Blanket, Boots of Speed (10 rounds/day), Bracers of Archery, Greater, Efficient Quiver (52 @ 7.5 lbs), Everburning torch, Flint and steel, Glove of Storing (empty), Handy Haversack (17 @ 29 lbs), Headband of Mental Superiority, +6: Perception, Acrobatics, Rations, trail (per day) (10), Ring of Splendid Security, Robe of Eyes, Rope, Spider Silk (50') (2), Tent, Small, Wand of Resist Energy (CL 11), Wand of See Invisibility, Waterskin, Weapon Cord, Wings of Flying
--------------------
SPECIAL ABILITIES
--------------------
Abundant Step (Su) For 2 Ki points, use dimension door.
AC Bonus +15 The Monk adds his Wisdom bonus to AC and CMD, more at higher levels.
Combat Patrol (+15') Full-round action: increase your threatened area by +15' until your next turn.
Combat Reflexes (6 AoO/round) You may make up to 6 attacks of opportunity per round, and may make them while flat-footed.
Damage Reduction (10/chaotic) You have Damage Reduction against all except Chaotic attacks.
Deadly Aim -4/+8 Trade a penalty to ranged attacks for a bonus to ranged damage.
Empty Body (Su) You can assume an ethereal state for 1 minute.
Fast Movement (+60') The Monk adds 10 or more feet to his base speed.
Flurry of Blows +18/+18/+13/+13/+8/+8/+3 (Ex) Make Flurry of Blows attack as a full action.
Greater Snap Shot Gain bonus on damage and critical confirmation when using ranged weapons
High Jump (+20) (Ex) +20 to Acrobatics checks made to jump.
Impact Critical Shot You can bull rush on a critical hit
Improved Precise Shot Ignore certain AC / concealment bonuses.
Improved Snap Shot You threaten an additional 10 feet with Snap Shot
Improved Unarmed Strike Unarmed strikes don't cause attacks of opportunity, and can be lethal.
Ki Archery (Su) 1 Ki point: +50' range increment for bows.
Ki Arrows (Su) 1 Ki point: bow deals the same damage as unarmed strike.
Ki Defense (Su) A monk can spend 1 point from his ki pool to give himself a +4 dodge bonus to AC for 1 round.
Ki Focus Bow (Su) You can apply special Ki attacks to your arrows.
Ki Pool (Su) You have a ki pool equal to 1/2 your monk level + your Wisdom modifier.
Ki Strike, Adamantine (Su) At 16th level, a monk's unarmed attacks are treated as adamantine weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction and bypassing hardness.
Ki Strike, Lawful (Su) At 10th level, a monk's unarmed attacks are also treated as lawful weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
Ki Strike, Magic (Su) At 4th level, ki strike allows a monk's unarmed attacks to be treated as magic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
Mobility +4 to AC against some attacks of opportunity.
Perfect Self You gain damage reduction 10/chaotic.
Perfect Strike (3d20) (20/day) Roll 3d20 for an attack with a Monk weapon and use the higher as your attack roll, the next as your critical confirmation.
Pinpoint Targeting Standard action (may not move this round): target of your ranged attack loses armor, natural armor and shield bonuses to AC.
Point Blank Shot +1 to attack and damage rolls with ranged weapons at up to 30 feet.
Precise Shot You don't get -4 to hit when shooting or throwing into combat.
Quivering Palm (1/week) (DC 30) (Su) Once a week, make an attack that can kill with your thought.
Rapid Shot You get an extra attack with ranged weapons. Each attack is at -2.
Reflexive Shot (Ex) Make AoO with bow.
Ring of Splendid Security This extravagant ring is heavy with precious jewels. Even were the ring itself not magical, it would be worth thousands.

As fashions go in and out of style (or as your fancy shifts), you can alter the appearance of your armor, clothing, and even weaponry as you see fit at will as a standard action; this change is illusory and does not affect the actual abilities of gear or weapons (although drastic changes in size are beyond the scope of this ability).

A ring of splendid security’s primary purpose, though, is to grant you protection from harm. As long as it is worn, the ring grants you a +5 deflection bonus to AC, a +5 resistance bonus on saving throws, and spell resistance 22.

Strong abjuration; CL 16th; Requirements Forge Ring, minor image, resistance, shield or shield of faith, spell resistance; Cost 90,000 gp + 7,200 XP; Price: 180,000
Slow Fall any distance (Ex) Treat a fall as shorter than normal if within arm's reach of a wall.
Snap Shot Threaten squares within 5 feet of you when wielding a ranged weapon
Spell Resistance (30) You have Spell Resistance.
Timeless Body (Ex) At 17th level, a monk no longer takes penalties to his ability scores for aging and cannot be magically aged. Any such penalties that he has already taken, however, remain in place. Age bonuses still accrue, and the monk still dies of old age when hi
Trick Shot (Su) 1-3 Ki points: ignore varying amounts of cover or concealment.
Unarmed Strike (2d10) The Monk does lethal damage with his unarmed strikes.
Weapon Cord Attached weapon can be recovered as a swift action.
Wholeness of Body (20 HP/use) (Su) Self-heal monk level in damage for 2 Ki points.
Wisdom in the Flesh: Stealth Stealth becomes a Wisdom-based, class skill.
Zen Archery (Su) Use WIS instead of DEX for ranged attacks with a bow.

Gear Total comes to 837110 gp, so you can spend the rest on stuff like potions and wands. Also, flurry of blows is a little deceptive. You add +18 to the listed numbers every time you flurry. You can also expend 1 Ki point to get another attack at your full base and when hasted, you get one more. So basically 9 shots, 4 at full base, on a full attack action. Also, you can change up the equipment. You have a ring slot open, so you could probably lose the robe of eyes and get a different robe and another ring.
Back to top Go down
The DM
Admin
The DM

The Red Menace Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Red Menace   The Red Menace EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 2:27 pm

what book is ring of splendid security from?

is lawbringer just a +5 str bonus masterwork comp. longbow?
Back to top Go down
D'yb D'anzig

D'yb D'anzig

The Red Menace Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Red Menace   The Red Menace EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 2:47 pm

Nice build, Matt!

Can you make me a quick Level 20 Arcane Trickster build to work with, Andy?

Also, how does one go about pulling off successful Sneak Attacks on a Red Dragon? Couldn't find any discussions about it.
Back to top Go down
The DM
Admin
The DM

The Red Menace Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Red Menace   The Red Menace EmptyThu Dec 22, 2011 5:06 pm

edit update

Damian Crowley (#): male human ninja3/sorcerer7/arcane trickster10 CR 19 ; medium humanoid (chelaxian)
HD 17d6+3d8+80 ; hp
Init +14; Spd 30 ft.;
AC 43= +8armor+6shield+8dex+5natural+5deflection+1 insight touch , flat-footed ;
Atk +27 melee (1d6-1+2d6v.evil,), or rays +25 ranged (,); BAB +15, CMB +, CMD
SA Sneak Attack+7d6, Ninja Tricks, Impromptu Sneak Attack 2/day, Surprise Spells
SQ Arcane Bond (familiar), Metamagic adept, Ki Pool ( ), Ranged Legerdemain, Tricky Spells 5/day, Invisible Thief (10 rounds/day) AL Chaotic Good
SV Fort +15, Ref +24, Will +20
STR 8 -1 DEX 26 (+8)CON 16 (+3)INT 20 (+5)WIS 16 (+3)CHA 33 (+11) (+1 to ability checks, ioun stone)

Skills and Feats: +1 skills (ioun stone)

Eschew Materials, Improved Initiative, Toughness, Weapon Trickery, Extra Ki , Iron will, Weapon Focus(ray), Empower Spell, Improved Familiar, Improved Critical (Ray), Quicken Spell, Precise shot

Spellcasting (sorcerer 17)
CL: 20
Spell DC: 21+ level
Spells per day: 9/9/9/8/8/8/8/5

Spells Known(9/5/5/4/4/4/3/3/2)

Cantrips: Detect Magic, Ghost Sound, Mage Hand, Message, Prestidigitation, Open/Close, Read Magic, Dancing Lights, Ray of Frost
1st: Mage Armor, Shield, True Strike, Charm Person, Chill Touch Identify*
2nd: Resist Energy, Acid Arrow, See Invisibility, Mirror Image, Glitterdust, Invisibility*
3rd: Force Punch, Haste, Ray of Exhaustion, Fly, Dispel Magic*
4th: Dimension Door, Enervation, Greater Invisibility, Dimensional Anchor
5th: Polymorph, Persistent Image, Wall of Stone, Dominate Person
6th: Disintegrate, Greater Dispel Magic, Mislead
7th: Greater Teleport, Project Image, Banishment
8th: Polar Ray, Summon Monster VIII

Possessions: Headband of Mental Perfection (+6 cha/int/wis, skills:), Belt of physical perfection +6 (dex, con), Tome of Leadership and influence+5 (used), Manual of Quickness of action+4, Ring of Freedom of Movement, Ring of Protection+5, Cloak of Resistance+5, Bracers of Armor+8, Amulet of Natural Armor+5, Orange Prism Ioun Stone, Dusty Rose Prism Ioun Stone, Pale Green Prism Ioun Stone +5 Holy Spell Storing Rapier, +5 Mithral Heavy Fortification Heavy Buckler, Metamagic rod- Extend(normal), Metamagic rod- Empower(greater), 2 Gloves of Storing, Metamagic rod- Elemental(greater, acid)

821,500 spent

Last edited by The DM on Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:20 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
D'yb D'anzig

D'yb D'anzig

The Red Menace Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Red Menace   The Red Menace EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 4:06 am

Carefully... yet, consistently? The whole point of the build is to maximize your blasts using sneak attacks.

Impromptu sneak attack gives me 2 times a day where I can just say "Hey, this is a sneak attack" and do it. But the rest of the time I'd have to be relying on other things, and judging by most people's opinion of the rogue class it isn't always easy, especially in the later levels when creatures have see invisibility, true seeing, etc.
Back to top Go down
The DM
Admin
The DM

The Red Menace Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Red Menace   The Red Menace EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 4:50 am

I'll leave that mostly up to you, and of course you can alter the spell list I give you as you see fit. The most basic advice would be that in order to sneak attack consistently you need to stay alive and in control of what you're doing, a red dragon of this size can possibly kill less buff 20th level melee characters in a single full attack, I don't need to tell you how fast it can take down a caster. While it's breath weapon may not be a major concern for Jack, you can also expect a dragon to make the most of its spellcasting repertoire and other abilities to try and make you dead.
Back to top Go down
D'yb D'anzig

D'yb D'anzig

The Red Menace Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Red Menace   The Red Menace EmptySun Dec 25, 2011 6:50 am

Jack's looking good. What did you use for his starting stats? Using a 25 point buy means he doesn't need to have his CON so low. I'm a little worried about that.
Back to top Go down
The DM
Admin
The DM

The Red Menace Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Red Menace   The Red Menace EmptyMon Dec 26, 2011 5:29 am

i'll fix it
Back to top Go down
The DM
Admin
The DM

The Red Menace Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Red Menace   The Red Menace EmptyMon Jan 02, 2012 8:43 pm

hey sorry if you guys felt frustrated with the difficulty of the dragon, I agree Winds of Vengeance is a powerful spell, but i feel it's kinda like a tough call for me because without ways to defend against some of the ranged touch attacks the dragon is pretty trivial. I think you could probably eventually beat the encounter on a 2nd try but I can understand if you don;t want to, the problem with 20th level play is it kinda becomes an arms race which isn't really as interesting as a real campaign.

anyway I hope everyone had some fun and I'll look forward to continuing city of the spider queen next sunday, and i should be at fosters wednesday as per usual, hope you all have a good week!
Back to top Go down
Brutus

Brutus

The Red Menace Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Red Menace   The Red Menace EmptyTue Jan 03, 2012 4:45 am

I thought it was a really good encounter.....definitely eye opening to what can happen at the high levels. The first guys went down easily and were fun to see them decimated.....and the big dragons shouldn't be easy in my opinion.....at least we didn't die, yet... ha ha ha
Back to top Go down
D'yb D'anzig

D'yb D'anzig

The Red Menace Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Red Menace   The Red Menace EmptyTue Jan 03, 2012 5:32 am

Definitely an eye-opener for Level 20 play. Arcane Trickster was definitely not the right choice for class to play against a red dragon... if I had time to learn all the high level spells I would certainly take a straight level 20 wizard or sorcerer with full casting capabilities and zero reliance on illusions to get his job done.

That said, in the level 20 arms race of that fight, I felt very unprepared not only because of the class but because I haven't played level 11-20 with a caster yet and thus have missed out on many "dealing with high level magic" lessons.

Looking forward to more campaign play.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Red Menace Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Red Menace   The Red Menace Empty

Back to top Go down

The Red Menace
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Andy's Forgotten Realms :: Temporary Campaigns-
Jump to: